Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   On-track Machinery (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Otm & Bdv! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=190)

Ringoosmeg 22nd November 2005 22:54

Otm & Bdv!

Thought Id have a go at starting this thread.
I have over the years worked professionaly with the big yellow stuff, used on the BR and Ex BR infrastructure.
In the mid 1990s I spent a fair bit of time in Plasser & Theurers works in Austria accepting new kit for the UK, Ironically, 10 years on Im back involved with it again whilst working for freight operating co's.

I also spent many years on rerailing duties, so often worked with the breakdown train and cranes, I also used to drive the Bruff road/rail vans for derailments.

Just curious to how many people are out that that share the interest of big yellow bits of kit and re-railing and recovery work?
Cheers
Ringo

stanners 5th January 2006 16:54

You are not the only one involved with the stuff - and I find it fascinating. I spend a lot of time carrying out noise and vibration assessments on the stuff - and I have to say that some of the new stuff out there may appear excellent, but it really is a bunch of dross.

What is fun though - and I had a chance to do this last year - is to carry out the noise and vibration tests on a man access trolley - the Lesmac Swift - on a private railway, and being given the chance to have a go - this thing accelerates and stops like a go-cart!!!!:)

Ringoosmeg 5th January 2006 22:19

OTM or MOW...

Stanners ...where you from, not involved with a certain amount of vehicles for the NDS are you?????

Ive been involved with big yellow machines since the early 1990's, and have spent a lot of time in Austria at Plasser & Thurers works in Linz.

What else you been involved with?

Ringo...:rolleyes:

tomfassett 5th January 2006 22:20

I admit I have been derelict in getting more railroad machinery posted on my website. I have hundreds of pics of the stuff. Here is a link to what I do have so far:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/pics2/mow_spec.html

Tom F

Ringoosmeg 5th January 2006 22:32

Cranes

Liked the ACR rail crane, what is it ..about 100 ton capacity?

Ive got some of a rail crane taken in Toronto in 1986, about the same size as the ACR one, it used to be kept at the depot which is now the sky dome i believe, it was also used to rerail one of EWS's new class 66's when that fell off in 1998...

I have a load of pics taken at Agincourt yard Toronto, in 86, but would need to scan them in though.
what typesof OTP/MOW you been involved with then?

Ringo

tomfassett 5th January 2006 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
Liked the ACR rail crane, what is it ..about 100 ton capacity?
Ringo

Right on. Good call... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
what typesof OTP/MOW you been involved with then?

Ringo

Taking pictures of the things mostly... The only work I've ever done on anything like this is painting old stuff at a railway museum. :D

Tom F

stanners 7th January 2006 13:30

Ringo

From Staffordshire mate, but do a fair bit with the High Output Trains at the mo - the ballast cleaners and the tampers and regulators in particular.

Also do the noise and vibration work on the fleet that the Comapny own - mix of P&C and PL Tampers, Road Railers - Unimogs, Land Rovers, 26T Seddon Atkinsons, EGO4s plus some new stuff coming in this year.....

Ringoosmeg 7th January 2006 20:42

Stanners,

So are you based at the OLd Jarvis yard (Salop sidings) at Stafford then for Net Rail?

I used to be passed and used to drive the old BRUFFs...and also 130" R/R land Rovers:) .
Spent many hours out with the old HOBC that being DR76101, the Kershaw bult monster, and the associated SLSHS and BDS support trains.

Ringo

stanners 8th January 2006 17:42

Nah - I work for a company whose HQ is in Scotland!! All the stuff is based in Manchester or north of the border, plus the HOBC sets in Reading and Donny that we operate under a JV for Network Rail - and to be honest this is only a small part of my job, but it is the bit I enjoy the most, as I am also involved in looking at how the railway copes with new legislation on noise and vibration - and specifically re OTP, RRMs, RMMMs + RRVs.....

Ringoosmeg 8th January 2006 21:08

Green Locos

Ah, the big green locos on the front of your trains in/out of Reading are ours!
Ringo:D