Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hs2 on channel 4 (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=9884)

klordger1900 28th July 2011 20:58

Hs2 on channel 4

Take a look at Pete Waterman getting steamed up over HS2 during a heated debate with Jon Snow and a NIMBY.

http://www.channel4.com/news/deadlin...2-rail-project

scroll down for the interview.

D.O.G.F.A.N. 29th July 2011 17:13

Poor old Joe Rukin:mad: Got a proper [well deserved] tongue lashing from one of our hero's.:p:p

klordger1900 29th July 2011 20:32

They cant argue against common sense and the force of progress unfortunately. Try as they might and shout till the cows come home, these things will get built for the good of the nation and technology coupled with futuristic designs makes them so much better for the environment they pass through. The model shows the train above ground level whereas they have already shown that building the track bed with the rail head well below ground level and a slight raised bank right along the line virtually eliminates any track noise. Adding bushes does the rest to screen both trains and smother what noise does escape. Living close to a motorway is much worse than being next to a railway line.

faltskog36abba 29th July 2011 21:00

hs2 ch4

pete knows his stuff,he certainly laid in to that fella..good for him,we need high speed rail as the roads are chockablock,one slight worry is,will we be able to afford to travel on them?i have to use the coach sometimes as i am priced off the railways-london manchester 26o+ if not booked in advance.

Silver Fox Phil 29th July 2011 22:10

I agree; Pete Waterman does know his stuff, and I am an in favour of our country catching up with the rest of the world! We have to get cars off the road co's the alternative is to build more motorways and so more cars and polution! Who needs that. Our population is growing at a rate not seen since the war and we have to provide a sensible and sustainable transport system - Trains and trams have got to be the way forward. Bring it on!!! and well done Pete.

klordger1900 1st August 2011 22:14

Pete's after a knighthood then!!??

Belmont Road 2nd August 2011 15:54

Pete was great and was spot on when he stated that the NYMBY guy knew nothing about railways.

However, the guy did have one point I would agree with and that is that there would appear to be no intermediate stations. HS1 has two and the SNCF network has quite a few entry points onto convential rail to other population centres on the TGV network.

Dave Rowland 2nd August 2011 17:38

However, the guy did have one point I would agree with and that is that there would appear to be no intermediate stations. HS1 has two and the SNCF network has quite a few entry points onto convential rail to other population centres on the TGV network.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, you can easily see the NIMBYs' point; the line will travel through a whole area in their vicinity which isn't going to be of any benefit whatsoever to the local populace, who will be losing land, drops in property values, etc etc. Two or three (or more) stations in appropriate positions might at least get some on side. Perhaps a wider trackbed, with the facility for normal trains running along a parallel course, would at least give them a look in, and be of some use for THEM to commute, or whatever. :confused:

Belmont Road 2nd August 2011 19:47

Yes Dave I agree

Silver Fox Phil 2nd August 2011 20:55

Hi Dave, I too agree that could be a solution to winning more hearts by adding a local service, in fact that should be a major consideration, but the investment has to be for the better of the wider community and country as a whole. The project from my understanding will take into account local concerns by building the line below ground level as mentioned by Klordger1900 previously.
By the way if ever it came to "my back yard" I would not stand in its way I would welcome the improvements.
Best regards
Phil