Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Challenges facing the rail industry in Europe (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=10825)

arkadas 2nd April 2012 00:11

Challenges facing the rail industry in Europe

Hi there everyone!

I'm a student and I'm supposed to produce a report on:
"What challenges, opportunities and risks do you see for the rail industry in Europe in the coming years?

I'm completely new to this transportation means. I have already done some research but I'm really curious what you guys think about it? Could I ask you for some guidance?

Best regards

Silver Fox Phil 2nd April 2012 16:14

Welcome to the forum Arkadas and hope you find what you are looking for. There are many who have a valid opinion for sure.
All the best
Phil

John H-T 2nd April 2012 20:25

Welcome to the Forum Arkadas. Ask the questions and we will try to answer them.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

DSY011 2nd April 2012 21:07

Hello Arkadas and welcome to the Railway Forum.

ianrail 2nd April 2012 21:10

Welcome to the Forum, Arkadas, and I'm sure you'll quickly learn a lot just reading the posts here. This Forum is primarily a UK one but the railways of Europe are perhaps not so unlike our own, except for the fragmentation that privatisation has imposed on our railway system.

Just to get you going with at least some "bullet points" under each heading, I started to think of the following:

Challenges:
seemingly ever-increasing regulations and cost of running the railway;
a complex and labour intensive industry;
competition from low-cost airlines;
inability to squeeze much more time-saving out of already long sections of high-speed line;
difficulty and cost of building new lines in heavily built-up parts of western Europe.

Risks:
fare increases to fund investment drive passengers off the railway;
ditto fare increases to compensate for decrease in government subsidies;
unwillingness of taxpayers to continue current level of subsidies;
some railways rely on a small number of business travellers to generate a large proportion of their income;
as seen over recent decades, the difficulties of getting traffic back once it's lost to the railway;
a large percentage of the population has never travelled by train and doesn't see it as an attractive form of transport.

Opportunities:
journey time can be unbeatable between city centres up to a couple of hundred miles;
sustainability - carbon emissions lower than most other forms of transport;
electrified lines can have their power generated by many sources of fuel;
an extremely safe form of high-speed transport;
work environment (for business travel) and comfort can be difficult to equal in other forms of transport;
national networks can easily be interconnected in continental Europe (and the UK via Channel Tunnel).

arkadas 2nd April 2012 22:14

Thank your all for the warm welcome and I really appreciate your reply ianrail :)

Do you think it will differ much if we approach this question from the perspective of a freight operator rather than a passenger operator?

ianrail 3rd April 2012 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkadas (Post 68676)
Do you think it will differ much if we approach this question from the perspective of a freight operator rather than a passenger operator?

Yes I think it might. The railways are up against a powerful, well funded and well established road lobby. For years too many politicians have automatically thought of a road solution to all transport issues. However, the railways are uniquely suited to efficiently moving heavy loads of freight. With such an awareness of "green" issues now, this could be rail's great opportunity for the 21st century. It's worth remembering that "railways" were first invented to move freight (coal from mines, for example) and the idea of carrying passengers came along quite a bit later!

Silver Fox Phil 3rd April 2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianrail (Post 68678)
Yes I think it might. The railways are up against a powerful, well funded and well established road lobby. For years too many politicians have automatically thought of a road solution to all transport issues. However, the railways are uniquely suited to efficiently moving heavy loads of freight. With such an awareness of "green" issues now, this could be rail's great opportunity for the 21st century. It's worth remembering that "railways" were first invented to move freight (coal from mines, for example) and the idea of carrying passengers came along quite a bit later!

Well explained Ianrail and I agree wholeheartedly. I fear those in power will overlook the "frieght on rail" issues and the golden opportunities we have to lessen the transport on our congested roads. It will be interesting to see how the next few years unfold?
Cheers
Phil

BowlerL33 4th April 2012 08:24

Hello Arkadas & welcome to the forum.

You may wish to have a look at the Moorland & City Railways project which is taking shape in Staffordshire. An example of an upcoming project aimed at bringing Freight business to a 'mothballed' line with implications for passenger services (as they plan to run trains to Alton with the nearby Theme Park in mind)

Cheers
Lee

arkadas 4th April 2012 20:26

Thank you all for your advice. This forum seems really friendly. I've got this feeling that I will learn a lot here :)