Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Narrow Gauge (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Double Fairlie info req (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=11143)

theticketinspector 5th July 2012 19:20

Double Fairlie info req

Hi everyone,
I'd just like to say hello as I'm new to this forum, I'm looking for info about the double fairlie locos as used on the Blaenau Festiniog railway it concerns the layout of the cab.
Has anyone seen the layout in the cab? from what I can gather from photos I've seen, the firebox is split 50/50 and runs lengthways along the cab fore/aft,although the detail isn't clear.
My query is this, is there equal space either side of it so the driver can stand either side depending on the direction of travel and am I right in assuming the boilers are fired from one side only?[the side the coal bunkers are situated].
Any info would be appreciated and photos would be magic, if you have pics please could you post them.

Kind regards
TTI

Silver Fox Phil 5th July 2012 21:10

Hello TTI and welcome to the forum. I am sure someone on here will answer your questions as they are very knowledgable on this site!
All the best
Phil

richard thompson 5th July 2012 21:16

Welcome to the forum. You might find some pictures in the gallery already!
Richard

Madcaravanner 6th July 2012 09:54

AFAIK the loco's are left hand drive only (but I stand to be corrected )

there is one in the NRM York so you could get some decent photo's there specific to what you need or of course you could get out to Boston Lodge :-)

pre65 6th July 2012 10:03

York would be a 725 mile trip by road for TTI.:D

avonside1563 6th July 2012 10:06

Can a loco that is double ended be described as left hand drive? Surely it would be right hand drive for 50% of the time?
Briefly, the boiler (not boilers) has a common steam space over the two fireboxes. The reason for two fireboxes was that the prototype had a single firebox but it was quickly realised that the uneven pull of two smokeboxes caused draughting issues. Because the boiler is continuous from one smokebox to the other the driver occupies one side with the associated controls (reverser, brake, regulators etc) and the fireman the other with corresponding items (bunkers, injectors, fireholes etc.).
I'm sure someone with experience of these locos can give more info.

Madcaravanner 6th July 2012 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 70353)
York would be a 725 mile trip by road for TTI.:D

Hmmm not far I'm off to Spain for September hopefully get to see lots of their traction etc. whilst there too

BUT sorry TTI forgot to read where you are LOL

theticketinspector 6th July 2012 22:41

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the kind words of welcome and the advice so far. As I thought the driver stands one side and the fireman the other, I wasn't sure if the controls were duplicated. I guess with a double ended loco there is no left or right hand side.

Regards Roly

I suppose I ought to put up the french flag to show where I live, just go's against the grain being a Brit

StoneRoad 7th July 2012 20:59

info on the double Fairlie

How much detail do you want? I may be able to point you at some further info....

Try this item, diagram is at the end of the page.....

http://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Fairlie%27s_Patent

I think there are a "few" images on flickr.......

By the way, I think that the Driver is on the left hand side as that is the platform side on the uphill journey.......makes it easier to see the guard.

Jeff Albiston 22nd March 2013 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by theticketinspector (Post 70370)
Hi everyone,
As I thought the driver stands one side and the fireman the other, I wasn't sure if the controls were duplicated. I guess with a double ended loco there is no left or right hand side.

Regards Roly

Yes, you are correct. Driver usually operates from the left and fireman is on the right going up to Blaenau, and vice-versa on the down trip back to Porthmadog.