Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   First impressions of 0n30. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3785)

John H-T 19th January 2009 17:27

First impressions of 0n30.

5 Attachment(s)
At Warley last year I picked up a copy of the Bachmann America Catalogue and discovered their 0n30 range. For those who don’t know (like me!) this means 0 gauge narrow gauge running on H0/00 track and represents a track gauge in real life of 30 inches. Word of warning here American 0 gauge is 1/4“ to 1foot (just over 6mm) not 7mm as in the UK!

I have always had an interest in narrow gauge and quite often thought it would be fun to build a layout based on North American Practice. At a number of exhibitions I have visited recently there have been American layouts, usually narrow gauge, based on North American Logging Railroads. There have also been a growing number of minimum space layouts. Also I have been increasingly drawn towards 0 gauge, but don’t have the space. It seemed that 0n30 might be a way ahead.

Last Saturday The 7mm Narrow Gauge (Trent Valley Group) had an open day at Mickleover near Derby so I went along. I had very little idea of the size of 0n30 stock and how small a space I could build a layout in. I came away very impressed with a copy of the New 0n30 Handbook, published by the 7mm NG Association and a Bachmann 0-4-2 Porter Tank Engine, photos attached with a Hornby 0-4-2 Auto Tank to compare size.

The Porter cost me less than the Hornby Auto Tank 2 years ago and in general stock seem to compare with Hornby/Bachmann prices. Even a Shay geared loco with DCC sound wasn’t a lot more than a Hornby Duchess with DCC sound. There are also quite a few kits and detailing packs available in addition to the Bachmann products.

I now believe that I could build a small “logging layout” on a 4’x2’ baseboard!

Useful Sites: 7mm Narrow Gauge Association: www.7mmnga.org.uk
EDM Models: www.ngtrains.com stock Bachmann 0n30 at reasonable prices plus a wide range of other 0n30 products. Watch this space!

swisstrains 19th January 2009 18:24

I hope the Midwest Quarry and Mining Co. isn't going to take priority over the Will Valley Railway.:D

John H-T 20th January 2009 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 23351)
I hope the Midwest Quarry and Mining Co. isn't going to take priority over the Will Valley Railway.:D

John,

May run in parallel. Certain make the baseboard while finishing the boards for Will Valley.

Incidently it won't be "The Midwest Quarry and Mining Co." but no idea yet what. I also bought a Banta laser cut wood kit for a new cab.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

david1943 21st January 2009 11:42

Very popular in Australia and at very good prices, if I had the space I would be very interested in modelling On30, good luck with the project.

John H-T 22nd January 2009 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1943 (Post 23401)
Very popular in Australia and at very good prices, if I had the space I would be very interested in modelling On30, good luck with the project.

Did some work on a layout plan to-day. Can get an interesting little layout into 4'x2'.

Best wishes,

John H-T.