Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cyclist crashes onto rail track (BBC News) (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=2700)

RF News 24th June 2008 12:52

Cyclist crashes onto rail track (BBC News)

A cyclist is seriously injured after overshooting a station platform and crashing onto the live railway track.

More from BBC News...

John_142 24th June 2008 14:56

Reminds me to get my brakes over hauld next pay day !

Deathbyteacup 24th June 2008 15:36

Not being funny but, wasn't that a rediculous thing to do in the first place?

John_142 24th June 2008 15:53

DEFFINTALTLY But trains will run late as i susopect he has been late for work and tried to save a few minutes and ende up cathching the 999 toHOSPITAL Instead !

pavorossi 24th June 2008 15:58

Before reading the story I presumed it was going to be someone who was quite young. You'd reckon that by the time you hit forty that youi'd know better than to rdie bikes down stairs.

Foghut 25th June 2008 06:40

This is an issue that I've raised with the railway several times before. For a very long time now there has been a Railway by law which prevents the riding of bikes or the use of rollerskates/skateboards on platforms. When I've politely pointed this out to people the usual response is, "where does it say that then ?"

I believe that there should be signs which clearly state that it is an offence (and dangerous) to do so.

I just tell them that if they fall onto the live rail whilst wrapped round a metal bike they are going to fry. In the time that it takes to get the traction current turned off they'll have turned into a hog roast. It sometimes gets a response.

bramleyman 26th June 2008 01:38

Try reading the letter 'Keep off the track.' in the letters page of www.fenlandtoday.co.uk

paul miller 26th June 2008 08:55

I hope someone has "SPOKE" to him about this. Why "SADDLE" the railways with this problem. He sounds like the sort of person who would say the railway was trying to "FRAME" him. He needs to wear the right "GEAR" if he intends doing this again. Mind you he was probably "TYRED" and fell asleep.
I know I am being flippant, but these people are nutters are'nt they. Riding a bike down stairs. Smart arse.
Paul.

John_142 26th June 2008 13:00

Ok you cant CYCLE - SKATE BOARD or ROLLER SKATE on the Sation but yet it doeent say anything about doing the HOOLA HOOP does it.

Plus there are so many things ypou cant dor must not do whilst on the railway so what can you actually do on the railway apart from Catch a Train.

Plus do the BTP ever do anything about crowd control in the peak time or stop peolpe running for the train at the last minute and squeezing on in to th smalest place they can or stand up when there are seats available this gets on my nerves.

pavorossi 26th June 2008 14:04

Would crowd control be the responsibility of the BTP, or would it be up to the operating companies? I wonder if there's a point where something stops being merely overcrowded and becomes dfangerously overcrowded? I mean obviously there is such a point, but is there somewhere where it quotes figures?