Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   LU D stock for Harrogate? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=9825)

Shimbleshanks 14th July 2011 23:25

LU D stock for Harrogate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14143032

tonyharker 15th July 2011 09:40

Brilliant idea! :)

pre65 15th July 2011 10:03

Excellent idea, it works on the IOW.

And surely, 3rd rail electric is ideal for other than high speed ?

Dave Rowland 15th July 2011 12:52

.... "The power would come from a rail mounted a couple of feet above the track and a "current collector" would run along it, feeding electricity to the trains' motors. "

I wonder just where they got THAT information from? A COUPLE OF FEET????

:confused::confused:

steam for ever 15th July 2011 13:03

It sounds like a wonderful idea. This stock is from 1967 is it not?

It should also provide badly needed extra DMUs to northern.

Flying Pig 15th July 2011 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 62251)
Excellent idea, it works on the IOW.

And surely, 3rd rail electric is ideal for other than high speed ?

3rd rail works very nicely up to 100 mph. I know some twonk from NR was poo-pooing it recently, but it's worked without any problems at 100 for class 319s and 377s on the Brighton Main Line in my experience as a driver. The shoe gear rides onto and off it without any problems from an operational point of view.

However what CRE doesn't do is snow. You just can't draw any traction current with even the finest coating of snow, in fact a light touch of ice can bring trains to a stand.

It's utterly hopeless - but hey I'm sure it NEVER snows in Harrogate, right ? :rolleyes:

Shimbleshanks 15th July 2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 62253)

It's not quite that old. The D stock was introduced in the early 1980s, I think. It has since had an internal refurb.

Shimbleshanks 15th July 2011 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Pig (Post 62255)
3rd rail works very nicely up to 100 mph. I know some twonk from NR was poo-pooing it recently, but it's worked without any problems at 100 for class 319s and 377s on the Brighton Main Line in my experience as a driver. The shoe gear rides onto and off it without any problems from an operational point of view.

However what CRE doesn't do is snow. You just can't draw any traction current with even the finest coating of snow, in fact a light touch of ice can bring trains to a stand.

It's utterly hopeless - but hey I'm sure it NEVER snows in Harrogate, right ? :rolleyes:

Yes, I was interested in the NR guy's comments about 80mph being the effective top whack on the third rail. Trains coming through Purley seem to be doing a good 90mph in the up direction, so I'm not sure where he's getting his figures from. There might be an issue with traction supply in the busier parts of the network but speed is going to be limited by signals and speed restrictions there anyway.

I guess the people in Yorkshire could get round the snow problem by going for the side-contact system that they used to use on the Manchester Bury line if they're going for a new-build. I suppose the one objection is that it wouldn't be compatible with the 25kv overhead electrification that already exists in the Leeds area.

lesleyholly 15th July 2011 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 62253)

it may be a good idea but harragate coc had class 142 exchanged for 158 but the trains due not still fill is harragate going to invest in thier idea

HM181 15th July 2011 21:00

In 1993 we electrified all the railway from Neville Hill to Skipton, Ilkley, Bradford Foster Sq.This was a missed chance to do the Harrogate line at 25KV. Perhaps onto York to join up with the ECML.
I would ask where the £ millions will come from.
The chance was missed in 1993.
This is just another pipe dream which will not come true.