Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bere Alston (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=3861)

ACE 31st January 2009 13:22

Bere Alston

2 Attachment(s)
Two shots from my 'Bere Alston' layout which appeared in Jan'90 edition of railway Modeller, my first actual completed layout, i remember i got paid £8 by the RM at the time! Made up I was....:D
At the time, the footbridge steps were removed shortly afterwards from the real thing, and today there is large tree growth behind the disused up platform

Shed Cat 2nd February 2009 10:01

Very nice. I like the work you have put into the surrounding scenery. Not just a photo panarama backdrop.

John H-T 2nd February 2009 10:04

A good example of the railway in its landscape. Great. Thnaks for posting.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

swisstrains 2nd February 2009 10:57

Great bit of modelling.
Was it a diorama of the station area or did it form part of a larger layout?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 23689)
.............. i remember i got paid £8 by the RM at the time! ...................

I don't think Peco Publications have ever been known for their generosity.
I hope they also gave you a free copy of the mag:)

SDX 2nd February 2009 13:58

beautiful modelling of a beautiful area...

Congratulations.

West Devon is soooo beautiful.

As far as i remember, Bere Alston was a station where trains had to reverse to proceed further on the line...

Is the actual line still working on both sides or has it been closed?

ACE 2nd February 2009 22:43

Yes Bere Alston is still alive and well, the reversal point of the the Gunnislake branch, which used to continue to Callington until 1966.Bere Alson became the terminus from Plymouth with the closure of the mainline from Bere Alston to Meldon in 1968, although reinstatement from Bere Alston to Tavistock is still on the agenda, and is a serious project now.
With regards to my model of the time it was just a small layout with hidden storage sidings added....I did get a free copy of 'RM' but lost it along time ago

John H-T 3rd February 2009 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 23782)
Yes Bere Alston is still alive and well, the reversal point of the the Gunnislake branch, which used to continue to Callington until 1966.Bere Alson became the terminus from Plymouth with the closure of the mainline from Bere Alston to Meldon in 1968, although reinstatement from Bere Alston to Tavistock is still on the agenda, and is a serious project now.
With regards to my model of the time it was just a small layout with hidden storage sidings added....I did get a free copy of 'RM' but lost it along time ago

I believe there is serious discusion about reopening the whole route back to Meldon to try and relieve traffic conjestion and give an alternative to the Dawlish Route in bad weather.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

ACE 5th February 2009 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H-T (Post 23816)
I believe there is serious discusion about reopening the whole route back to Meldon to try and relieve traffic conjestion and give an alternative to the Dawlish Route in bad weather.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

'A Dreamer of beautiful dreams Sir':)
I hope so....
With hindsight, singling, mothballing was the way forward in the 60's, but good old politics and personal gains seemed to get in the way...hmmm