Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Lorries ! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6396)

48111 24th December 2009 11:38

Lorries !

Yes Lorries....hang on before you "go off on one":D, I mean British Railways lorries, it was a delight this morning when I first logged on at just gone 6, to see in the gallery a picture of a British Railways mechanical horse.
We dont seem to have a particular section on here to discuss the "other things" of British Railways. I mean British Railways did not only operate trains and stations, they had a large road fleet, they had ships, they had hotels,they had their own fire brigade, they had buses.
Then they had me :D:D (only joking).
But no, it is a wonder why such things have never been discussed on here, after all it is a railway subject, if they have been discussed before I joined then I apologise.
So lets have a discussion (if Admin dont mind) about British Railways lorries,I remember the mechanical horse as they were known, running about town and then after them the Scammel Scarab.
I have a book on British Railways lorries, and one thing that has always mystified me (apart from the missus :D), is the fleet numbers they had.
I wonder if anyone on here can explain them ? It does not mention them in the book.

Tony 24th December 2009 19:56

I remember the forerunners of the mechanical horse; the Stanley Steamer! BR used to have at least two operating from Manchester London Road and Mayfield stations in the mid 50's. I think they carried a heavier load of coal than they did parcels. They were quite a sight coming out of Fairfield Street and up the hill of London Road towards Piccadilly.
Of course London Road station was renamed Piccadilly when the West Coast was electrified.

locojoe 24th December 2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 36947)
the "other things" of British Railways. I mean British Railways did not only operate trains and stations, they had a large road fleet, they had ships, they had hotels,they had their own fire brigade, they had buses.
Then they had me :D:D (only joking).48111

They also had that useless railway soap issued to footplatemen, it just would not lather. I cleaned my hands with a bit of sand and whatever lather I could get from the useless stuff.

ccmmick 24th December 2009 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by locojoe (Post 36983)
They also had that useless railway soap issued to footplatemen, it just would not lather. I cleaned my hands with a bit of sand and whatever lather I could get from the useless stuff.

Yes i remember that soap aswell Locojoe rubbish, the later soap we had was called Buttemilk and that was a lot better.

ccmmick.

48111 25th December 2009 11:25

"Argh" the good old Buttermilk, I do beleive you can still get that today in very little bars as complinetery bars for washrooms.

Anyway has anyone got any photos of the British Railways road fleet ?
I remember seeing once a picture of a British Railways lorry which had been carrying pipes and it had an accident and the pipes had gone through the rear window of the cab and then through the windowscreen.

ccmmick 27th December 2009 14:53

Sorry 48111 no pictures of British Rail Lorries
but i have one of my Somerfield Van for you if you want.

ccmmick.

Steamfan 27th December 2009 15:42

BR Lorries.

Hi all. Saw the word and I immediately thought back again to my (years ago) local Station Romford. At the back of it was the Coal Merchants one of which I remember was Moys. Also though was the Railway goods delivery area and from here all manner of parcels etc were distributed round and about. Back to Lorries, the distributing vehicles of these were mainly the Scammels, those wonderful and very versatile articulated vehicles which could turn on a sixpence and were often seen round about doing the needful. Have a very vivid picture in my mind of them and also the scene there at that time those years ago. Its nostalgia again but why not, happy memories for sure.
Regards.

48111 28th December 2009 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccmmick (Post 37106)
Sorry 48111 no pictures of British Rail Lorries
but i have one of my Somerfield Van for you if you want.

ccmmick.

:D:D Is it a SOMERFIELD Scammel Scarab:D:D ?

"Gotta ave a Larf Aint yer"!

garrat 28th December 2009 10:04

Ive seen a few of these restored and running at steam fairs I do believe the Rushden railway has one.When I was at oakley station one of these little Scammels called once a week to drop off and pick up parcels .The driver used to come up the box for a cuppa lovely feller called Joe .There never seemed to be anyone in a big hurry in those days and Joe certainly never was

ccmmick 28th December 2009 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 37165)
:D:D Is it a SOMERFIELD Scammel Scarab:D:D ?

"Gotta ave a Larf Aint yer"!

After a bottle it can be a Scammel or a Foden or what ever you want.

ccmmick.