Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Freight Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Ely West Loop (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=10543)

Flange 24th January 2012 17:39

Ely West Loop

Anybody know what traffic is using the Ely (Adelaide) West Loop? The track is shiny so something is going round, Middleton sand maybe.

bramleyman 25th January 2012 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flange (Post 66740)
Anybody know what traffic is using the Ely (Adelaide) West Loop? The track is shiny so something is going round, Middleton sand maybe.

Yes it does and according to what I have been told, twice a day now, but yet to be confirmed.

Flange 25th January 2012 17:33

Thanks. I will keep trying at that location. If you get any more info I'll be glad to hear it.

bramleyman 25th January 2012 17:43

I live near Downham Market, so may well meet you there sometime. I will ask another Enthusiast I know, if he can confirm it for you, as his son watches the sand train(s) every chance he gets.

Flying Pig 27th January 2012 18:41

1 Attachment(s)
There's at least 2 different sand trains - a Heavyhaul & DBS one.

I snapped DBS 6E88 - the 12:39 Middleton Towers to Goole Glassworks (arr 20:37) near Runcton.

bramleyman 30th January 2012 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Pig (Post 66861)
There's at least 2 different sand trains - a Heavyhaul & DBS one.

I snapped DBS 6E88 - the 12:39 Middleton Towers to Goole Glassworks (arr 20:37) near Runcton.

Down the road from me. Runcton that is. I caught sight of one heading back into Lynn one afternoon last week as I was returning home from that way, but too late to see loco.

Flange 2nd March 2012 08:21

Thanks boys. Turns out there are 2 a day but it took 5 visits to the loop to see, and video, a train going round it, no. 66010 seen in the photo, travelling much faster than I expected and creating an ear splitting flange squeal ( ear plugs required if you ever go there).

bramleyman 2nd March 2012 17:30

Pleased to see you finally got it. I popped to Runcton this morning to see the NR HST going to King's Lynn. Had I stayed longer, I daresay I would have seen the sand train, but had a neighbour with me who I promised to drop off in town.

Flying Pig 2nd March 2012 19:33

Ha! I went into to KL today to catch the 11:56, and reached the station just as the NMT was pulling out of pl2. Pity as I could have snapped it if I'd been 5 minutes earlier.

Do you know if this was a scheduled visit, or did it come to assess the appalling ride between Ely and Lynn ? (Speaking of which - I see that no sooner did the ESR come off at Ely Dock jn than a new one sprouted up at the Cam bridge near Chesterton). :rolleyes:

Cheers, FP

bramleyman 3rd March 2012 21:48

I had a tip-off by phone on Thursday, that this was coming down to Lynn, so unable to answer your question Flying Pig, sorry.

I can recall an HST visiting Lynn many years ago, and pleased to say I was on it following our DMU failure between Litteport and Downham Market, resulting in the DMU being terminated at the latter. I even have photo's of it in Lynn, but no date recorded. All I can recall is that it was prior to November 1989.