Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Flags (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=9120)

Madcaravanner 23rd January 2011 16:25

Flags

OK folks

Brainpicking time again I want to model a slow fluttering flag ( not one in gale) anybody got any ideas how to do it

I'm working in 4mm to the foot so it's a scale 6x4 foot flag

62440 23rd January 2011 17:34

A hidden electric fan comes to mind, depends where you want the flag I suppose, if it's up a flagpole atop a tower could be difficult, if its hanging out from a building a breeze from a half-open window could do the trick, a low voltage cooling fan as used to cool a laptop computer wouldn't take up much room and you should be able to vary the speed to get the flutter just right.

Regards, 62440.

Madcaravanner 23rd January 2011 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62440 (Post 57968)
A hidden electric fan comes to mind, depends where you want the flag I suppose, if it's up a flagpole atop a tower could be difficult, if its hanging out from a building a breeze from a half-open window could do the trick, a low voltage cooling fan as used to cool a laptop computer wouldn't take up much room and you should be able to vary the speed to get the flutter just right.

Regards, 62440.

LOL
Not aiming for live action - nowhere to hide the fan -- what I want to do is model a flag as if it's being gently blown I am unsure of which material to use too

richard thompson 24th January 2011 08:54

Not a modeller myself, but heres a couple of ideas. Would a piece of linen or cotton well starched work or a piece of material covered in a clear glue or paste, though the colour might go quickly.
Richard

Madcaravanner 24th January 2011 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard thompson (Post 57981)
Not a modeller myself, but heres a couple of ideas. Would a piece of linen or cotton well starched work or a piece of material covered in a clear glue or paste, though the colour might go quickly.
Richard

That's a thought especially if the colour is reapplied after using modelling paints

DSY011 24th January 2011 12:42

Years ago I found a small navy flag made of silk which was just right for a ship my father built. I wanted it to be fluttering, not dropping or stiff from a strong wind. I used hair spray on one side,then shaped it as I wanted it, then gave it a second spray with the hair lacquer. It held its shape for a number of years.

StoneRoad 24th January 2011 18:36

flag modelling

What that man said ^^^^^:)

Using even thinned varnish gives a result which is too shiney and far too stiff! (boat modeling, in case you're wondering)

StoneRoad

Madcaravanner 24th January 2011 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneRoad (Post 57997)
What that man said ^^^^^:)

Using even thinned varnish gives a result which is too shiney and far too stiff! (boat modeling, in case you're wondering)

StoneRoad

I know about this as we used to make Airfield Dioramas for the Air Cadet Force at the squadron I was in but at that time we only had pre-made flags to go at so they were always in a force 9 gale I on the other hand want this for the village church and a breeze is more prototypical than a gale

Going to try watered down PVA first as SWMBO doesn't use hair spray so ......