Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Train Crash in Lake District (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=933)

swisstrains 23rd February 2007 20:51

Train Crash in Lake District

The BBC are reporting that a train crash has occured between Oxenholme and Tebay in the Lake District. Initial reports state that a Virgin train from London Euston to the North is involved. I assume this to be a Pendolino.
No further info at present.

swisstrains 23rd February 2007 21:16

News now starting to come in here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6391633.stm

GBRf_66709 23rd February 2007 21:31

Sounds quite bad going by the BBC report.

"some carriages stuck up in the air and some are just lying on their sides".

GBRf_66709

Ringoosmeg 23rd February 2007 23:11

Christian Wolmar has just been spouting off on the BBC news, as a "Railway Expert", god i wish that man would keep his gob shut, he just adding more speculation into whats happening, and cannot answer questions with well informed dialouge.

Mr Wolmar, let the real real experts do their job, I am a incident and recovery engineer for the railway, and his comments just dont help!

Thank fully im a freight man, and not called to passenger incidents, but i feel for those who are there...the press needs to take a step back and let those who are supposed to be there do their jobs!

Regards
r

Ian White 24th February 2007 07:57

I agree totaly with the coment's made by Ringoosmeg,as a railway man that had to go to both the Southall and Paddington rail crash site's.
The press have done that thing they do all the time and jumped on the band wagon and the so called expert's come out with there ideas of happend when to be honest no one know's what has happpend,what relly get's to me is that even after a train crash some one gave pictures of inside the trian to the press witch where shown on the news.
I would just be happy to have got out of the train,the action of some people is just unbeliverble :mad: :mad:

All the best,Ian

Ringoosmeg 24th February 2007 09:31

Oh dear Wolmars spouting again, now hes an expert on points and equipment, I know now that my 26 years of derailment, recovery and investigation means nothing, I just need to be an arrogant irritating **at, and I can solve all the railway incidents from the comfort of a TV studio.

hes calling the front of the Pendo a locomotive! well that says it all!

All I'll say is....Wolmar...NO! keep it shut. Let the RAIB and HMRI do their stuff.

As for the emergency services who attended, well done to those lads and lasses, Ive worked with them many times over the years and THEY and not **ats like Wolmar have my admiration and support, not forgetting the Recovery gangs who will have to retrieve the stock, its dirty and very tiring work, and not pleasant in these conditions.
R

swisstrains 24th February 2007 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian White (Post 6399)
..................,what relly get's to me is that even after a train crash some one gave pictures of inside the trian to the press witch where shown on the news.
I would just be happy to have got out of the train,the action of some people is just unbeliverble :mad: :mad:

All the best,Ian

I agree Ian. For a long time the media have intruded on people's grief with their cameras and microphones............now the public are doing the same:mad:

Shed Cat 24th February 2007 16:41

But on another note, I am really impressed by how well the train stayed together and even the glass didnt break. They were so lucky the train didnt hit anything like a bridge (Like the German ICE crash a few years back)

So sad that the Greyrigg area has claimed yet another railway victim.

Trev 24th February 2007 16:54

The reporting of this accident has been utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

The guy from Network Rail (Arnott?) was being interviewed on the TV at the scene, and was asked how he could justify his salary. I'm sorry, but that was just plain sick. Another reporter asked him what points were for. It beggars belief.

A BBC reporter got in on the act and went into hyperbole by describing the train as 'crowded with one hundred passengers'...what's that then? Less than 25 people per carriage?

It's very sad that one person has died, and several have been seriously injured, but accidents do happen. I wonder how many people have died or been injured in road crashes today?

Shed Cat 24th February 2007 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trev (Post 6407)
I wonder how many people have died or been injured in road crashes today?

Average of 10 per day dead, and 90 seriously injured............near enough.

or "100 dead and seriously injured every day" in BBC speak.

This has been near enough constant for many years. As traffic volumes are increasing this counts as an "improvement".