Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi to you enthusiasts (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8309)

ChuffChuffpuff 7th August 2010 10:15

Hi to you enthusiasts

Hello everyone

does any one have a number one piece of advice to give me to get me startedin this new hobby?

pre65 7th August 2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuffChuffpuff (Post 51864)
Hello everyone

does any one have a number one piece of advice to give me to get me startedin this new hobby?

Depends what your interests are.

You are in a prime position to see the Felixstowe freight trains.:D

ChuffChuffpuff 7th August 2010 10:22

freight is good but i prefer passanger units! I've heard Colchester is a good place to start??

pre65 7th August 2010 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuffChuffpuff (Post 51866)
freight is good but i prefer passanger units! I've heard Colchester is a good place to start??

Must admit I quite like Manningtree myself.

ChuffChuffpuff 7th August 2010 11:03

brilliant! thanks so much :D you must be a dab hand at this. do you have any advice on what sort of kit i should take? thyanks again :)

pre65 7th August 2010 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuffChuffpuff (Post 51869)
brilliant! thanks so much :D you must be a dab hand at this. do you have any advice on what sort of kit i should take? thyanks again :)

Well, A notebook and pen if you like recording numbers.;) And a camera if you want pictures.
The anorak is optional.

There is even a bar at the station.:D Be prepared to pay for parking however.

ChuffChuffpuff 7th August 2010 12:26

my friend has taken a number of pictures, but they seem to be a bit fuzzy, would you recommend tripod? I am not sure if I can stretch to a zoom lens.
nice one about the anorak! will dig out my old favorite from BHS

pre65 7th August 2010 12:36

Use the camera you have and see how things go. No point in spending unless you have to.

Must admit I can't get the hang of digital cameras and action shots.:o

48111 7th August 2010 12:56

Yes good afternoon and welcome to the Forum.
A briliant site with lots of friendly people and advice is always available.....enjoy.

33056 8th August 2010 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuffChuffpuff (Post 51880)
my friend has taken a number of pictures, but they seem to be a bit fuzzy, would you recommend tripod? I am not sure if I can stretch to a zoom lens.

No need for a tripod unless you want to do night shots or time exposures, a zoom lens will give you more flexibility but it is perfectly possible to manage with a fixed lens. With regard to fuzzy shots, they can be avoided by:
a) making sure you (or the camera if it has autofocus!) focus properly
b) when taking something moving, use a high enough shutter speed to freeze the subject, 1/250 second should be adequate for stuff pottering around at fairly slow speed. With regard to fast moving freight or passenger you need to be looking at 1/400 second or (preferably) higher.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, the main thing is to enjoy yourself :)

PS if you want to take up spotting, you will find one of these useful ;)