Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dawlish rail line collapse. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=13050)

pre65 5th February 2014 11:05

Dawlish rail line collapse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26044426

Toddington Ted 5th February 2014 11:53

No problem - divert trains via Okehampton to Bere Alston. Oh dear, that bits been closed for years hasn't it? An essential project for Network Rail, and I use the word essential deliberately as Dawlish is one geological battle we are unlikely to win.

Madcaravanner 5th February 2014 22:22

It's daft in this day and age that there is only one route into Cornwall
more pictures so far http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/dawlish-seawall-damage-5th-february-2014.html

AND
they are saying a minimum of 6 weeks to repair the damage in fact tonight they said they don't know how bad the damage is yet

AND

there is more bad weather to come

steam for ever 6th February 2014 00:19

Well, this is true. We have been told there is at least one other storm on the way this week, and then what? I don't really see the GW line ever being closed, at least not for the time being anyway. Whatever happens this surely shows that the power of our weather can never be underestimated.

bramleyman 6th February 2014 16:22

My heart goes out to the people of Dawlish, and can well remember walking along the footpath adjacent to the track back in the days of steam when a mere youngster.

The weather forecasters have got it wrong before and many times, and let's hope they have again this time and the storm doesn't strike as hard as the 'Experts' say it will, so work can begin in getting the line back up and running. While some say it will take six weeks, How do they know, when the line has to be thoroughly inspected first?

Tony 6th February 2014 18:09

After the huge hole that has been ripped out of the sea wall, it will probably take at least six weeks to design an new wall and to source the stone to rebuild it. That has to be done before the track bed can be rebuilt and all the services re-installed. All this will take time. With luck and a following wind, the line might be open by the end of May.

Sentinel 6th February 2014 19:16

It's one of the most beautiful lines in the country and a remarkable feat of engineering and it would be a great shame to lose it. I fear for it though. Given climate change storms like we've been experiencing are going to be frequent and regular events in future. Short of a massive breakwater, that must make the Dawlish line untenable in the long term.

A chap from Network Rail was on the News this morning saying putting in a detour route would cost £400 - 500 million and they don't own the land. So neither a cheap or a quick option.

A repair is the only short/mid term option. Though with more and worse storms forecast I think '6 weeks' window to repair the breech is highly optimistic ...

eagle125 8th February 2014 13:08

A beautiful place

Been to Dawlish Warren on hols the area is beautiful.Our thoughts go out to everyone in that area and in other parts of the UK that have suffered

Madcaravanner 8th February 2014 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 79591)
After the huge hole that has been ripped out of the sea wall, it will probably take at least six weeks to design an new wall and to source the stone to rebuild it. That has to be done before the track bed can be rebuilt and all the services re-installed. All this will take time. With luck and a following wind, the line might be open by the end of May.

It's not just that area but the walk to Dawlish Warren have seen pictures of the trackbed there where it is under 2-3 feet of Sand and gravel

draximus 10th February 2014 11:20

Alternative line apparently chosen http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26110559

graham9qh 10th February 2014 21:51

I also have walked from Dawlish to Dawlish Warren & it's a very scenic line so was horrified to see the damage. Have also seen all the shots of excursions along this line, it's got to be a priority to repair it but madness not to have an alternative.

Christopher Dent 11th February 2014 22:02

I popped down to Dawlish on Saturday afternoon and the damaged area looked a real mess. Like others I can't see it being reopened until April/May. I spoke to a workman from Liverpool who was working a shift system and when the tide was out. Like other I can't see it reopening until April/May. Another route is needed for the emergencies which will arise in the future as the sea will not relent. I think the former LSWR is preferable with double line ideally. A single line between Meldon and Bere Alston with several passing places would be better than nothing. There has been talk of reopening the LSWR line from Tavistock to Plymouth in the local press in recent years. I cycled by Tavistock
(North) a couple of years ago (in summer) but the area was very wet.It would be so easy to forget it once the repairs have been done in view of the financial need in so many now flooded areas. We shall see.
Chris Dent

pre65 12th February 2014 17:47

Not Dawlish, but Crewe.

Breaking news

Crewe station evacuated after high winds bring down power lines which catch fire.:eek:

pre65 12th February 2014 18:18

More breaking news, from Virgin.

BREAKING NEWS Virgin Trains Virgin Trains, which operates across large parts of the UK including between London and Edinburgh, posted a message in capital letters on its official Twitter account urging "all customers to abandon travel".

Sounds serious.

18:17: Richard Westcott BBC transport correspondent The "majority" of Virgin Trains services have been suspended on the West Coast Mainline. They had so much debris land on the line so quickly that Network Rail need to assess the damage.

18:18: The BBC's Becky Kelly, at Crewe station, says cables that had been on fire are now out but there will be no trains operating from there this evening. Train staff are handing out cold drinks and tea and coffee.
TransPennine Express UPDATE: Due to high winds between #Carlisle and #Preston, lines through these stations are blocked with no available road transport #UKStorm

18:40: Here's the latest from Network Rail on the West Coast Mainline:
Commuter trains are running out of Euston to Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Most will have delays
Virgin fast services are still suspended out of Euston
There are no services north of Nuneaton
Trees on the line and downed electric wires are causing problems at Lichfield, Stafford, Stoke, Crewe, Macclesfield, Stone. Engineering teams won't go in until the wind dies down and it's safe

20:04: Crewe station has re-opened - but it is just to allow stranded passengers to get off their trains.

Madcaravanner 12th February 2014 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 79667)
More breaking news, from Virgin.

Trees on the line and downed electric wires are causing problems at Lichfield, Stafford, Stoke, Crewe, Macclesfield, Stone. Engineering teams won't go in until the wind dies down and it's safe

20:04: Crewe station has re-opened - but it is just to allow stranded passengers to get off their trains.

From the description I have just been given is that the WCML North of Preston resembles a Ten Pin bowling alley with that many trees down across the line

and the M6 is scattered with HGV's on their sides

vangguard 13th February 2014 15:28

I am taking wife, daughter and two Grandsons For a weeks holiday in one of the camping coaches at Dawlish Warren in April. I have taught the older Grandson well, he is as train mad as I am, so I really hope the repairs will be finished by then.

Keith

TRP 14th February 2014 10:59

We've had our own 'Dawlish' near Stonegate on the Hastings-Charing Cross line:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetab.../storm-damage/

Not by waves, but continual rain washing away the embankment. There was already disruption due to a lanslip at Wadhurst around Christmas, where the cutting side had collasped and blocked the line. The blockage has been cleared, but Network Rail unable to fully secure the bank to prevent further slippage until the weather improves.

There's also been problems along the 'coastway' route between Hastings & Eastbourne, with shingle blown off the beach over the tracks in places plus there was a collapsed drain under the line recently between St Leonards & Bexhill.

Tony

Silver Fox Phil 19th February 2014 11:01

This errosion issue has been and is an on-going problem we have all over our beautiful land! This particular line from the great Isambard Kingdom Brunell (what a great name) should have everything done to preserve such history.
OK I agree we also need massive investment in our railways down south west and need alternative routes. Lets do both!
You know I often wonder why we dont get the Dutch to come and help us with our defences? After all they manage with some 65% of thier land either below sea level or highly prone to flooding.
Food for thought
All the best and deep sympathy to those flooded homes!!
Phil

DSY011 19th February 2014 19:41

Phil, there are Dutch Engineers working on the Somerset Levels already, not just the pump men. It's just a pity they were not consulted after the floods of 2013/2013. They may have saved us millions.