Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   shed codes (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=12963)

farren 7th January 2014 11:23

shed codes

I have been looking at the new Hornby 9F Crosti and thinking I would like one maybe more of them for my future layout and have come to realise that the shed are a bit confusing.

I plan is to model the Leicester London road station, in the future shed code (15C) after looking on the BR database I found some if not most Crosti's where base at the Kettering shed (15c) later 15b. so was the Kettering shed a sub shed of Leicester at some point and if so would this have meant that it would have been likely that some Crostis may have been stabled at Leicester.

hereward 7th January 2014 16:53

My book says: 92020 to 92029 were introduced in 1955 and fitted with Crosti boilers.
Wellingborough 15A, Kettering 15B, Leicester 15c, Coalville 15D, Leicester (GC) 15E, Market Harborough Seaton 15F. (These lists include alterations brought about or proposed by the regional boundary changes of February 1st 1958, as far as at present known and are subject to amendment) (If that's any use.)

Tony 7th January 2014 17:45

The ten Crosti's introduced from March to July 1955 were all originally shedded at 15A Wellingborough. Between 1959 and 1962 they were rebuilt into a more standard form but classified 8F because of their smaller boilers, (they retained the secondary boiler underneath the main boiler). In 1963 92028/9 went to 21A Saltley, in 1966 they went to the Wirral area until withdrawal.

Bubblewrap 7th January 2014 19:50

This may help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ays_shed_codes

farren 8th January 2014 09:53

thank you for your repliers, what I supposes I was trying to say was the workings of the railway so I can try to improve the loco stud for 15C,(wishing to model 1950to55) I have looked up the BR database and the allocation to LEICESTER was Jinty's 8F's Black5, Compound's 2P's 3F's and 4F's also with the odd 2-6-4t and the high light 4-4-2t tilbury tank. come 1954/5, 5X2MT 2-6-0 and 1 5MT 4-6-0 turn up. I Know jubilees with the odd scot/pat would have past thought Leicester but would not have gone on to the MPD. so was trying to open up the stud well still being realistic. would things like Garratts and Supper D from Wellingborough have stay at Leicester or would they Always have work Back to they Home shed.

take a Garratt working a London empty coal train to Leicester coal fields would she then just have gone to Leicester MPD to return the next day to pick a full train up, or have gone the exter 15/20 miels to the home shed of Wellingborough

OR should I Fall back to the old Line and just say it's may layout.

Tony 9th January 2014 21:44

Hi Farren,
I would refer you to the book "British Railways Steam Locomotives Allocations" by Hugh Longworth, ISBN 978 0 86093 642 8. It details every loco allocated to every shed between those dates. It is an expensive book but a "must" for your reference library.

Silver Fox Phil 9th January 2014 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 79244)
Hi Farren,
I would refer you to the book "British Railways Steam Locomotives Allocations" by Hugh Longworth, ISBN 978 0 86093 642 8. It details every loco allocated to every shed between those dates. It is an expensive book but a "must" for your reference library.

It's a brilliant book and totally agree a must if you wish to research.
Fully recommend it.
All the best
Phil

farren 18th January 2014 17:21

sorry for the delay in replying to your suggestion I have put the book on my to get list the price is any ware between £30/90 so I have a couple of books on order but once they have arrived it will be the next one to get.

it should fit in nicely with British locomotives of 1948 (Chris Banks) and British Railway steam locomotives Loco's 1948-68.

But I think I will have to just make up what locos could have been visiting from other sheds.

62440 20th January 2014 02:14

Try this as a cheaper alternative Farren. http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php...ge=snap&id=318
Just put the year and month in and it will list Leicester Midland's allocation for you.

Regards, 62440

farren 31st October 2015 01:10

Sorry for a slight delay of only 22 months getting back to you. The database is differently a good idea. Cheers 62440.

springs branch mickey 1st November 2015 23:32

Just been looking at that database. Very good indeed.

The Crab 8th November 2015 18:43

A few points about the Crostis. The secondary "Boiler" was removed at rebuilding. Not all ended up on the Wirral (Birkenhead) - some went to Speke Jct (Liverpool). Although it seems generally agreed that an ex-crosti was 8F, my memory tells me that "9F" was displayed on the cabside.

An interesting measure of power was the number of 88-ton gross iron ore wagons that various types were allowed on the Biston Dock - Shotton steelworks trains. 8Fs, ex-crosti "9Fs", English Electric Type 4s (Class 40) and pairs of Sulzer Type 2s (Class 24) were allowed 10 wagons and 9Fs and Brush Type 4s (Class 47) were allowed 11. At least once a 9F took 13 - a gross load of around 1160 tons. These wagons were unbraked so half the battle was to stop them once over the summit.

pre65 8th November 2015 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crab (Post 85331)
At least once a 9F took 13 - a gross load of around 1160 tons. These wagons were unbraked so half the battle was to stop them once over the summit.

To me, that was a real skill, controlling unfitted wagon loads.:)

farren 14th November 2015 20:24

Cheers Crab very informative.

Been trying to work out which sheds would have provided locomotives from the north passing through Leicester. With my limited amount of books I am having to look on the net but a complete list is hard to come by. Obviously kentish town provided from London. But from Manchester Sheffield and even york plus lundidno (hopefully spelt correctly but probably not) I can't seem to pin down which sheds provide the locos by the web. I can find shed codes but can't be sure which ones would have provided MML.

farren 14th November 2015 21:15

Information I have managed to get so far
Lundidno is 6G

Manchester is 9A or could be 13A

Sheffield is 19C

York is 50A (NE)

Why am I asking this.. I have a book called Operation Midland-train services and carriage working.
Which helps build a passenger train passenger service(for a modeler) but the Loco is not mentioned so I am trying to make a educated guess with your help hopefully. Fright and local services are for another day though London to Leicester is classed as local.

D.O.G.F.A.N. 15th November 2015 10:33

Taken from my Ian Allan British Locomotive Shed Directory 13th Edition 1965:
6G Llandudno Junction.
9A Longsight
9B Stockport(Edgeley) Then in Cheshire.
9C Reddish,with sub sheds at Dinting and Guide Bridge.
9D Newton Heath.
9E Trafford Park
9F Heaton Mersey
9G Gorton
9H Patricroft
9J Agecroft........................One mile from where I lived.Used to be 26B.
All could be classed as Mancgester(ish) sheds.
I was a regular visitor to most of them.

In 1965 shed codes 13 were not listed nor were 19 codes.
Sheffield (Darnall) is listed as 41B as a diesal depot.
York remains as 50A North Shed
Stuart

farren 15th November 2015 11:54

Thank you. Right so if I try and get this right if a train is set to start at a station ignoring visiting locos (day befores opposite direction) and I say for ease train is to leave Leicester (15c) it could just as likely be a 15a/b/d etc.
I presume that a engine from Leicester central would not have been used. Or the ex GN&LNWR shed for that matter. This is where I was getting a bit confused if I pick a express from X which gose to or passess though leicester I then a look at the sheds it could come from and ends up with X a b c d etc!

I can obviously find a train list for a shed BRDaterbase
And I know it's pretty much a given its a Jubilee on the Midland mainline for the time period of 1950/60. Though pats/scots where making there presents now to the end of the decade.

farren 15th November 2015 12:05

I can't find a way of finding which loco did what so I am going to just go down a list (BR daterbase) and pick a names I like very easy to do with jubilees lots of interesting names to pick from. But I am trying to keep it as authentic as possible so picking from the right list is what am trying to find.

Bevan Price 17th November 2015 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by farren (Post 79221)
thank you for your repliers, what I supposes I was trying to say was the workings of the railway so I can try to improve the loco stud for 15C,(wishing to model 1950to55) I have looked up the BR database and the allocation to LEICESTER was Jinty's 8F's Black5, Compound's 2P's 3F's and 4F's also with the odd 2-6-4t and the high light 4-4-2t tilbury tank. come 1954/5, 5X2MT 2-6-0 and 1 5MT 4-6-0 turn up. I Know jubilees with the odd scot/pat would have past thought Leicester but would not have gone on to the MPD. so was trying to open up the stud well still being realistic. would things like Garratts and Supper D from Wellingborough have stay at Leicester or would they Always have work Back to they Home shed.

take a Garratt working a London empty coal train to Leicester coal fields would she then just have gone to Leicester MPD to return the next day to pick a full train up, or have gone the exter 15/20 miels to the home shed of Wellingborough

OR should I Fall back to the old Line and just say it's may layout.

Sorry for not spotting your post earlier. If you went on a "shed bash" in steam days, at almost every depot you would find a few locos belonging to other sheds, so almost anything is possible - provided a loco was not too big / heavy to enter the shed yard. Moreover, overnight "lodging turns" were much more common for steam crews (with or without their locos.) in that era.

Beeyar Wunby 18th November 2015 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by farren (Post 85367)

Been trying to work out which sheds would have provided locomotives from the north passing through Leicester. With my limited amount of books I am having to look on the net but a complete list is hard to come by. Obviously kentish town provided from London.

Not forgetting dear old Cricklewood. :)

pre65 18th November 2015 08:44

Was the Tilbury tank at Leicester for a particular reason ?

Bevan Price 20th November 2015 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by farren (Post 85367)

Been trying to work out which sheds would have provided locomotives from the north passing through Leicester. With my limited amount of books I am having to look on the net but a complete list is hard to come by. Obviously kentish town provided from London. But from Manchester Sheffield and even york plus lundidno (hopefully spelt correctly but probably not) I can't seem to pin down which sheds provide the locos by the web. I can find shed codes but can't be sure which ones would have provided MML.

MML expresses through Leicester were mainly operated by these depots
Kentish Town (14B)
Leicester (15C)
Nottingham (16A)
Derby (17A)
Trafford Park (9E)
Millhouses (19B)
Holbeck (20A, later 55A)

Local & semi-fast passenger services would be mostly operated by (for example) Saltley, Nuneaton, Burton on Trent, Kettering depots (in addition to 16A & 17A). You might also get locos ex-Derby Works being used on 17A duties.

Freights would probably come from almost any LMR depots within about 100 miles from Leicester. The main MML flows would be between Cricklewood, Wellingborough & Toton or Rowsley. But there would also be a lot of coal & mineral traffic from Leicestershire & neighbouring counties.

So, locos from distant depots like Crewe North (5A), Crewe South (5B), Stoke (5D), Heaton Mersey (9F) and elsewhere are quite feasible. In the closing years of steam, LNER/ER Class B1 were feasible on services from Peterborough, and summer saturday services from the east coast resorts.

You might be interested in this list of the steam locos I saw on a visit to Leicester shed in May 1963:
41227/28/79
42087/184/279
42334/338/355
43964/969/977/988
44030/034/403/414/530
44804/811/847/920/962
48037/089/510/632/651
73136/156
92108/110/119/123

Also present were a few of Classes 08, 27, 45, 46 (as they became under TOPS), plus
Departmental shunter ED4.

farren 21st November 2015 14:26

Thank you very much bevan. That will help drawing up a list of locos to model I feel a fair bit of re-numbering coming up starting with my ever increasing number of black 5.

Know I have to make my mind up about dates to model 1950-55 or extend to 1960. Which would allow me to keep all my pats rebuilt pats/scots though I'll have to evoke Rule 1 for princess R's C's which I can't bring myself to sell considering how much effort they take to build.

ticketsmustbeshewn 21st November 2015 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 79244)
Hi Farren,

I echo what others have said. Have just got this book and it's worth every penny. Hugh Longworth deserves a big 'thank you' from all British railway fans, historians and modellers. Steve.

Tony 22nd November 2015 16:26

When you start to realise that the last BR steam revenue service ran in May 1967 - that is 48 years ago! No-one under the age of 52/53 would ever remember them. We need reference books and researchers such as Hugh Longworth to enable us to keep our dreams alive.

The Crab 23rd November 2015 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 85443)
When you start to realise that the last BR steam revenue service ran in May 1967 - that is 48 years ago! No-one under the age of 52/53 would ever remember them. We need reference books and researchers such as Hugh Longworth to enable us to keep our dreams alive.

August 1968.

johnmoly 23rd November 2015 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crab (Post 85445)
August 1968.

11th August 1968, The Fifteen Guinea Special from Liverpool to Carlisle via Manchester and return, four separate steam locos hauled it at different stages if I recall correctly.

Tony 24th November 2015 19:16

Thanks John, I stand corrected; 11th August 1968 it was.
Now you know why I need the reference books! The grey matter is slowly beginning to misfire now and again.
Regards, Tony.