Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Freight Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Tail lamps..... (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8698)

saxokid 20th October 2010 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21Aman (Post 54881)
At one time the instructions stated that "the the light on a stop block in a siding etc. must be a white light" ,not red so therefore it wouldn't be the same type of lamp as a tail-lamp.

Ok cool....:)

wyvern 20th October 2010 12:40

Isn't that still the case if it is in such a position that it can be confused as the tail light of a train?

21Aman 21st October 2010 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyvern (Post 54995)
Isn't that still the case if it is in such a position that it can be confused as the tail light of a train?

I think the rule may have changed since the advent of "flashing" tail-lamps on loco hauled coaching stock trains and freight trains,the bay "stopblock" at my local station has Red lights on it ,although electric ones.

HM181 21st October 2010 18:29

Flashing tail lamps came into use when trains went DOO(NP).
in 1987, when the first DOO(NP) train ran out of Healey Mills.
This train worked to Toton and return. The driver of this train was a man called Don Guy.
I remember this as I was preparing 6L44 in the next road.
L44 went to York at 15:20hrs and dropped off all its trucks at Dringhouses Yard at York.(There is a Tesco Supermarket there now.)
The engine went LD/Gd. to York Shed where we sat till the return working left York Yard South at 23:45hrs back to HM. We called this job the York lodger.

saxokid 22nd October 2010 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21Aman (Post 55030)
I think the rule may have changed since the advent of "flashing" tail-lamps on loco hauled coaching stock trains and freight trains,the bay "stopblock" at my local station has Red lights on it ,although electric ones.

Ive seen electric red buffer lights at Holyhead station.....

Dave Rowland 22nd October 2010 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxokid (Post 55050)
Ive seen electric red buffer lights at Holyhead station.....

Yeah, I don't quite understand this 'white lights on buffers' thing - there are a number of seperate stabling sidings at/around Horsham station, ALL of them have red lights. :confused:

21Aman 22nd October 2010 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM181 (Post 55031)
Dringhouses Yard at York.(There is a Tesco Supermarket there now.)

Sorry sir but the former site of Dringshouses is now a housing estate,the Tesco Supermarket is built on land once occupied by Chaloners Whin Junction.

48111 23rd October 2010 05:53

I have got a Tail Lamp, complete with vessel, wick AND parafin and I light it sometimes, the smell brings back memories.

HM181 23rd October 2010 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21Aman (Post 55084)
Sorry sir but the former site of Dringshouses is now a housing estate,the Tesco Supermarket is built on land once occupied by Chaloners Whin Junction.

If thats the case give me 4 weeks road learning.
It still does not alter the fact that 6L44 went from HM to Dringhouses Yard and dropped off all its trucks.
You must bear this in mind, old boy that this happened 22 years ago, so I am entitled to some loss of memory.
By the way my driver on this occasion was Cyril Shiloh, a former Royston man.
This driver was road learning in a DMU, when it ran into a gang of PW lads just before Christmas a couple of miles from Altofts.
From this there were some fatalities among the Gang, and was a sad Christmas for us all at HM.

saxokid 24th October 2010 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 55090)
I have got a Tail Lamp, complete with vessel, wick AND parafin and I light it sometimes, the smell brings back memories.

Only oil lamp i have is an old Dorman smith 1977 yellow road lamp........:)makes great little heater in my greenhouse........